Our portfolio companies are making headlines by changing the life of patients. Stay up-to-date on their latest news.
- Sequana Medical announces FDA approval to expand patient enrolment in North American pivotal alfapump® study (POSEIDON)
- ACTICOR BIOTECH announces its projected IPO on the Euronext Growth® market in Paris
- ニュートン・バイオキャピタル、株式会社PRISM BioLabに新規投資
- Newton Biocapital invests in PRISM BioLab to support development of a unique peptide mimetic technology platform to discover new drugs for intractable diseases
- Newton Biocapital invests in EditForce to support development of a unique DNA/RNA editing platform based on PPR protein technology
- Newton Biocapital invests in NeuVasQ: EUR 20 million Series A to develop unique blood-brain barrier therapy
- Acticor Biotech Announces appointment of Mr Alain Munoz as Chairman of the Board of Directors and Mrs Sophie Binay and Mr Yannick Pletan as General Managers.
- SEQUANA MEDICAL ANNOUNCES NEW SHARE CAPITAL AMOUNT AND NEW NUMBER OF SHARES
- Newton Biocapital invests in Flemish start-up DeuterOncology
- Newton Biocapital I invests in Perseus Proteomics Inc. in Japan to develop therapeutic antibodies for the treatment of blood cancers
- Sequana Medical announces positive interim data from North American pivotal alfapump® study (POSEIDON)
- Sequana Medical announces strong interim results from RED DESERT alfapump® DSR study and provides business update
- ACTICOR BIOTECH ANNOUNCES THE SUCCESS OF THE FIRST PHASE OF ITS ACTIMIS STUDY WITH GLENZOCIMAB IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE ISCHEMIC STROKE
- ジェイファーマ株式会社 総額 17 億 4 千 6 百万円の資金調達完了
- J-Pharma Raises 1,746 million JPY in Funding
- SEQUANA MEDICAL SUCCESSFULLY RAISES EUR 19.0 MILLION IN AN EQUITY PLACEMENT
- Sequana Medical announces first patient enrolled in RED DESERT – REpeated Dose alfapump® DSR study for Treatment of diuretic-resistant heart failure patients
- Sequana Medical appoints leading experts as Heart Failure Scientific Advisors
- Sequana Medical announces unconditional IDE approval from U.S. FDA to start alfapump® pivotal study (POSEIDON)
- SEQUANA MEDICAL announces inclusion of alfapump® in German treatment guidelines (DGVS) for complications of liver cirrhosis
- Sequana Medical announces acceptance of late-breaking abstract of DSR therapy for volume overload in heart failure at Heart Failure 2019 Congress
- EditForce raises 870 million JPY
- エディットフォース株式会社 総額 8 億 7 千万円の資金調達完了
- Sequana Medical raises €27.5 million in successful Initial Public Offerin
- Sequana Medical announces the Coverage of the Base Offering of Its Initial Public Offering on Euronext Brussels
- Sequana Medical Launches Its Initial Public Offering on Euronext Brussels
- Sequana Medical receives Breakthrough Device designation from the FDA for its alfapump®
- 株式会社日本政策投資銀行（DBJ）日欧アーリーステージ医薬品のベンチャーキャピタル Newton Biocapital I pricaf privée SAへの出資契約を締結
- DBJ Signs Contract with Newton Biocapital I Pricaf Privee SA, a Japanese-European Venture Capital Fund for Early Stage Pharmaceuticals
- EPICS Therapeutics to Acquire Ogeda former assets, Adding Drug Discovery & Development Capabilities
- UK NICE recommends use of the alfapump® for the treatment of refractory ascites caused by cirrhosis under special arrangements
- SEQUANA MEDICAL establishes new corporate headquarters in Ghent, Belgium and raises €8.5 million from leading Belgian investors including Newton Biocapital, PMV and SFPI-FPIM as well as existing shareholders
- ACTICOR BIOTECH raises € 15.3 M in a Series B financing
- CHROMACURE S.A., a spin-off from the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB),is launched with €17m committed equity investment to develop enhanced cancer therapies
- SYNERGIA raises €8.1 million in Series A
- ACTICOR BIOTECH ANNOUNCES THAT THE EUROPEAN MEDICINES AGENCY CLEARS THE ROUTE FOR A PHASE II OF ITS ACT017 PRODUCT IN STROKE
SYNERGIA raises €8.1 million in Series A
Mont-Saint-Guibert, Belgium, 19 February 2018: Synergia Medical SA (“Synergia” or the “Company”), an opto-electronics pioneer developing next generation medical devices for neurostimulation, announces that it has raised €8.1 million in a Series A funding round from new and existing investors.
New investor Newton Biocapital led the Series A round and was joined by other new investors Financière Spin-off Luxembourgeoise and Belgian regional growth funds SRIW (Société Régionale d'Investissement de Wallonie) and SFPI-FPIM (Belgian Federal Holding and Investment Company). The funds will be used to bring Synergia’s vagus nerve stimulation device NAOS through final testing prior to CE mark submission.
Neurostimulation therapy is the delivery of electrical impulses to the nerves or brain to treat neurological disorders, a market estimated to be worth approximately $3.7 billion today. Synergia’s NAOS system is a next-generation, small-form, MRI-safe, implanted neurostimulation device which stimulates the vagus nerve. In Synergia’s novel system, which incorporates the very latest advances in biomaterials, optical components, biosensors and microelectronics, the wires of a traditional neurostimulator have been replaced by optical fibres and photovoltaic cells at the tip of the fibres to convert monochromatic optical energy to electrical impulses.
Synergia is currently developing NAOS for the treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy, and the Company is conducting advanced-stage testing of the device ahead of CE mark filing expected in 2019. Synergia will also prepare for regulatory approval in the United States where neurostimulation is increasingly prevalent.
In association with the financing, Synergia has also strengthened its Board of Directors with the appointments of Reinhard Krickl as Chairman, and Guy Heynen MD of Newton Biocapital and Pierre Detrixhe of Financière Spin-off Luxembourgeoise as Non-Executive Directors. Reinhard joined Synergia as an Independent Director in 2017, particularly supporting the Company through this investment round. In almost 20 years in medical devices, including at Medtronic, Inc., Reinhard has gained extensive experience in developing medtech innovation into successful businesses, in both the big corporate as well as the start up spaces. He is also CEO of Phagenesis Ltd, managing its sale to Nestlé Health Science in 2016, which is expected to be completed in 2019.
Commenting on the successful financing, Attila Borbath, Chief Executive Officer of Synergia, said: “The support and endorsement of these leading investors demonstrates the potential for Synergia to make a significant difference to patients with its pioneering technologies. This financing enables us to grow our team, progress the NAOS system through further testing before filing for CE marking, and
prepare for further clinical studies for regulatory approvals in the US. We welcome the support of our new and existing investors and look forward to the contribution that Guy and Pierre will make to the Board.”
Reinhard Krickl, Chairman of Synergia’s Board of Directors, added: “Synergia’s team is an engineering power house and it has developed some truly game-changing technologies that could form the base of a new generation of neurostimulation devices. The impressive developments to-date and ongoing research give us a great deal of confidence in what can be achieved in the next few years with this new funding.
"I’d like to thank the team for what they have achieved already; Jacques van Rijckevorsel on his departure from the Board and Jean-Jacques Verdickt as he transitions out of his role as Chairman for their significant contributions to the creation of this company and technology, and we welcome Guy and Pierre to the Board."
Alain Parthoens, Managing Partner of Newton Biocapital, commented: "Synergia’s innovative solution to the growing global challenge of epilepsy management has the very real potential to be a market disrupting technology. The impressive team has not only already contributed significantly to this market with previous technologies, but has also pioneered world leading technologies in the NAOS system that have significant potential in stimulation beyond epilepsy. We’re very pleased to be able to support this dynamic business at this transformative time and look forward to future success."
Attila Borbath, Chief Executive Officer
+32 497 40 47 67
Consilium Strategic Communications
Amber Fennell, Ivar Milligan
+44 20 3709 5700
About Synergia Medical
Founded in 2013 by Pascal Doguet and Attila Borbath, Synergia Medical is a pioneer in opto-electronics developing transformational medical devices for neurostimulation. Its lead product, NAOS, is a next-generation, small-form, MRI-safe, implanted neurostimulation device for drug-resistant epilepsy, with a range of further therapeutic applications. Synergia’s highly experienced management and advisory teams are leading experts in neurostimulation technologies and opto-electronics. www.synergia-medical.com
NAOS is a next-generation, small-form implantable vagus nerve neurostimulator for use in patients with drug-resistant epilepsy, affecting one third of epileptics globally. NAOS’ novel components include an implantable pulse generator (IPG) with unique quartz encapsulation enabling light signal
nerve neurostimulator for use in patients with drug-resistant epilepsy, affecting one third of epileptics globally. NAOS’ novel components include an implantable pulse generator (IPG) with unique quartz encapsulation enabling light signal
communications which is 10x faster and safer than conventional radio. The IPG is charged wirelessly and provides bio-sensing and feedback through a light emitter and sensor. A durable fibre-optic lead is transformationally MRI compatible and the novel electrode contains unique photovoltaic cells to convert light signal to stimulatory current through an enhanced electrode cuff. NAOS has global patent protection and is expected to receive its CE mark in 2019.
About Newton Biocapital
Established in 2017, Newton Biocapital is a Belgian venture capital fund focused on financing biotech and life science projects in the "core of Europe" (B, NL, D, F) and Japan for the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases. The fund's approach as lead investor is to support promising start-up projects, as well as neglected or undervalued late-stage projects, in order to mitigate the risks and to create investor value. Its leadership team consists of specialists with long-standing management and investor experience who coach bio-entrepreneurs through the development stages of their projects. Newton Biocapital's mission is to generate substantial financial and societal value.
About Financière Spin-off Luxembourgeoise
Financière Spin-off Luxembourgeoise S.A. is a specialised VC fund investing in seed and early-stage startups. The portfolio companies feature some of the leading young technological companies in Wallonia. The “Financière Spin-off Luxembourgeoise” S.A. belongs to the Investsud Group which is a private equity firm in Wallonia (Belgium), dedicated to accompanying small and medium-sized family companies with equity or quasi-equity funds. www.investud.be
S.R.I.W. Société Régionale d'Investissement de Wallonie (www.sriw.be) provides equity and/or debt to companies that generate added value and employment in Wallonia. S.R.I.W. facilitates the region's economic development, contributing effectively to the modernisation, growth and restructuring of the businesses that make up the Walloon industrial network. In the life science sector, S.R.I.W. is investor in more than 30 companies such as IBA, Celyad, or Ogeda from which it recently exited. Its current portfolio fair value is above €150 million.
The Federal Holding and Investment Company (SFPI-FPIM) centrally manages the federal government’s shareholdings, cooperates with the government on specific projects and pursues its own investment policy in the interests of the Belgian economy. SFPI identified several sectors into which it would be interesting to invest, amongst them innovation in the life-sciences sector. It invests in a direct way (including Biocartis, Bone Therapeutics, IBA and Istar) and through investment funds (including Fund+, Newton Biocapital, Vesalius Biocapital and V-Bio Ventures). SFPI is committed into more than 50 healthcare entities, for a total amount of more than € 130 million.