Our portfolio companies are making headlines by changing the life of patients. Stay up-to-date on their latest news.
- Epics Therapeutics Initiates First-in-Human Studies with EP282, an oral Investigational Drug for the treatment of gastrointestinal inflammatory disorders and cancer
- PRISM、Roche社とGenentech社と共同研究・ライセンス契 約を締結
- Sequana Medical announces FDA approval to expand patient enrolment in North American pivotal alfapump® study (POSEIDON)
- ACTICOR BIOTECH announces its projected IPO on the Euronext Growth® market in Paris
- ニュートン・バイオキャピタル、株式会社PRISM BioLabに新規投資
- Newton Biocapital invests in PRISM BioLab to support development of a unique peptide mimetic technology platform to discover new drugs for intractable diseases
- Newton Biocapital invests in EditForce to support development of a unique DNA/RNA editing platform based on PPR protein technology
- Newton Biocapital invests in NeuVasQ: EUR 20 million Series A to develop unique blood-brain barrier therapy
- Acticor Biotech Announces appointment of Mr Alain Munoz as Chairman of the Board of Directors and Mrs Sophie Binay and Mr Yannick Pletan as General Managers.
- SEQUANA MEDICAL ANNOUNCES NEW SHARE CAPITAL AMOUNT AND NEW NUMBER OF SHARES
- Newton Biocapital invests in Flemish start-up DeuterOncology
- Newton Biocapital I invests in Perseus Proteomics Inc. in Japan to develop therapeutic antibodies for the treatment of blood cancers
- Sequana Medical announces positive interim data from North American pivotal alfapump® study (POSEIDON)
- Sequana Medical announces strong interim results from RED DESERT alfapump® DSR study and provides business update
- ACTICOR BIOTECH ANNOUNCES THE SUCCESS OF THE FIRST PHASE OF ITS ACTIMIS STUDY WITH GLENZOCIMAB IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE ISCHEMIC STROKE
- ジェイファーマ株式会社 総額 17 億 4 千 6 百万円の資金調達完了
- J-Pharma Raises 1,746 million JPY in Funding
- SEQUANA MEDICAL SUCCESSFULLY RAISES EUR 19.0 MILLION IN AN EQUITY PLACEMENT
- Sequana Medical announces first patient enrolled in RED DESERT – REpeated Dose alfapump® DSR study for Treatment of diuretic-resistant heart failure patients
- Sequana Medical appoints leading experts as Heart Failure Scientific Advisors
- Sequana Medical announces unconditional IDE approval from U.S. FDA to start alfapump® pivotal study (POSEIDON)
- SEQUANA MEDICAL announces inclusion of alfapump® in German treatment guidelines (DGVS) for complications of liver cirrhosis
- SEQUANA MEDICAL announces acceptance of late-breaking abstract of DSR therapy for volume overload in heart failure at Heart Failure 2019 Congress
- EditForce raises 870 million JPY
- エディットフォース株式会社 総額 8 億 7 千万円の資金調達完了について
- SEQUANA MEDICAL raises €27.5 million in successful Initial Public Offering
- SEQUANA MEDICAL announces the Coverage of the Base Offering of Its Initial Public Offering on Euronext Brussels
- SEQUANA MEDICAL Launches Its Initial Public Offering on Euronext Brussels
- SEQUANA MEDICAL receives Breakthrough Device designation from the FDA for its alfapump®
- 株式会社日本政策投資銀行（DBJ）日欧アーリーステージ医薬品のベンチャーキャピタル Newton Biocapital I pricaf privée SAへの出資契約を締結
- DBJ Signs Contract with Newton Biocapital I Pricaf Privee SA, a Japanese-European Venture Capital Fund for Early Stage Pharmaceuticals
- EPICS Therapeutics to Acquire Ogeda former assets, Adding Drug Discovery & Development Capabilities
- UK NICE recommends use of the alfapump® for the treatment of refractory ascites caused by cirrhosis under special arrangements
- SEQUANA MEDICAL establishes new corporate headquarters in Ghent, Belgium and raises €8.5 million from leading Belgian investors including Newton Biocapital, PMV and SFPI-FPIM as well as existing shareholders
- ACTICOR BIOTECH raises € 15.3 M in a Series B financing
- CHROMACURE S.A., a spin-off from the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB),is launched with €17m committed equity investment to develop enhanced cancer therapies
- SYNERGIA raises €8.1 million in Series A
- ACTICOR BIOTECH ANNOUNCES THAT THE EUROPEAN MEDICINES AGENCY CLEARS THE ROUTE FOR A PHASE II OF ITS ACT017 PRODUCT IN STROKE
SEQUANA MEDICAL announces acceptance of late-breaking abstract of DSR therapy for volume overload in heart failure at Heart Failure 2019 Congress
Sequana Medical announces acceptance of late-breaking abstract of DSR therapy for volume overload in heart failure at Heart Failure 2019 Congress
Ghent, BELGIUM – 30 April 2019 – Sequana Medical NV (Euronext Brussels: SEQUA), a commercial stage medical device company focused on the development of innovative treatment solutions for the management of liver disease, heart failure, malignant ascites and other fluid imbalance disorders, today announces that results from the first-in-human single dose DSR (Direct Sodium Removal) proof-of-concept study for volume overload in heart failure have been selected for oral presentation in the late-breaking abstract session at Heart Failure 2019 on 27 May 2019. Heart Failure 2019 will be held from 25 to 28 May 2019 in Athens, Greece and is the 6th World Congress on Acute Heart Failure organised by the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology.
“First in Human Experience with Direct Sodium Removal using Zero Sodium Peritoneal Solution: A new candidate therapy for volume overload” will be presented by Dr. Jeffrey Testani, Associate Professor at Yale University.
Name: Late-breaking trial III – Innovative and device therapy
Date: Monday 27 May 2019
Time: 08:30 – 10:00 CEST
Presentation time: 09:30 CEST
Room: Trianti – lecture room (Megaron - Athens International Conference Centre)
Following the oral presentation, the abstract will be available on the website of Sequana Medical and the management team will host a conference call with a live webcast presentation on 27 May 2019 at 14:00 CEST.
About the first-in-human single dose DSR proof-of-concept study
The study (clinicaltrials.gov NCT03801226) was conducted by Dr. Testani at Yale University, in up to 20 patients receiving peritoneal dialysis who underwent randomization and crossover to DSR infusate (a sodium-free solution) or standard peritoneal dialysis (PD) solution. One litre of either DSR infusate or standard PD solution was infused into the peritoneum and left to dwell for two hours before being removed. The patient repeated the procedure with the alternate solution one week later. The primary endpoints include safety and tolerability, defined as completion of the two-hour dwell without significant discomfort or adverse events. The secondary efficacy endpoint of the study is the difference in sodium removal between DSR infusate and standard PD solution.
About DSR therapy
Sequana Medical’s proprietary DSR therapy is under development and is a novel approach to the management of volume overload in heart failure, a major clinical problem and a significant burden on healthcare systems. The body’s response to heart failure causes sodium levels to increase, which in turn leads to the body retaining more fluid. Sequana Medical’s innovative DSR therapy involves the removal of sodium via diffusion from the body into the peritoneal cavity by administering a sodium-free solution (“the DSR infusate”) into the abdomen. The DSR infusate and the extracted sodium are then removed, resulting in the elimination of sodium from the body. The body responds by eliminating the associated fluid via osmotic ultrafiltration (the movement of water, together with sodium, from the bloodstream to the peritoneal cavity) and/or urination.
The impact of administering a sodium-free solution to the peritoneal cavity, and the resulting sodium and fluid removal, was evaluated in a preclinical study with 15 pigs, of which five had experimentally induced heart failure. The study demonstrated that DSR therapy is capable of removing large quantities of fluid and sodium whilst having a negligible impact on the sodium concentration in the bloodstream, indicating the potential of this therapeutic approach.
About Volume Overload in Heart Failure
Volume overload in heart failure is a major clinical problem. There are an estimated 6.5 million adults in the U.S. suffering from heart failure and this number is expected to grow to 8.0 million by 2030. There are approximately one million hospitalisations for heart failure annually in the U.S. and 90% are due to symptoms of volume overload. The treatment options are severely limited in those patients for whom diuretic therapy is no longer effective. This limitation is evident from the 24% hospital re-admission rate at 30 days from discharge. The estimated cost of heart failure-related hospitalisations in the U.S. is $13 billion per year.
About Sequana Medical
Sequana Medical is a commercial stage medical device company focused on the development of innovative treatment solutions for the management of liver disease, heart failure, malignant ascites and other fluid imbalance disorders.
Sequana Medical's technology is based on its proprietary alfapump® platform, a fully implantable, programmable, wirelessly-charged, battery-powered system for automatic and continuous removal of fluid from the abdomen, which is applicable across multiple life-threatening disorders. The alfapump is being commercialised in Europe for the management of refractory ascites (chronic fluid build-up in the abdomen) due to liver cirrhosis and malignant ascites. The number of patients with refractory liver ascites is forecast to increase dramatically due to the growing prevalence of NASH (Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis).
Over 700 alfapump systems have been implanted to date and since April 2018, the alfapump has been included in the EASL (European Association for the Study of the Liver) clinical practice guidelines for decompensated cirrhosis. In January 2019, the FDA has granted Breakthrough Device designation for the alfapump for the treatment of recurrent or refractory liver ascites. The alfapump has not yet received regulatory approval in the U.S. and Canada and the Company expects to start POSEIDON, the North American pivotal study in in the second half of 2019 to support approval of the alfapump in recurrent or refractory liver ascites.
The alfapump is one of the first safe and effective, long-term alternatives to large-volume paracentesis (LVP) for the management of ascites, offering major advantages to patients, clinicians and healthcare systems. By automatically and continuously moving ascites to the bladder, where the body eliminates it naturally through urination, the alfapump prevents fluid build-up and its possible complications, improving patient quality of life and nutrition, and potentially reducing hospital visits and healthcare costs. The alfapump DirectLink technology allows clinicians to receive pump performance information and more effectively manage patients treated by the alfapump.
Sequana Medical has leveraged its alfapump experience and is developing alfapump DSR to deliver a convenient and fully implanted system for DSR therapy, its novel and proprietary approach for the management of volume overload in heart failure. Data from animal studies presented at EuroPCR 2018 and HFSA 2018 indicate that DSR therapy is effective and safe. The first-in-human single dose DSR proof-of-concept study has been conducted by Dr. Testani at Yale University in the U.S. and results are scheduled to be presented at Heart Failure 2019 on 27 May 2019. The repeated dose DSR proof-of-concept study is expected to start in the second half of 2019.
Sequana Medical is headquartered in Ghent, Belgium. For further information, please visit www.sequanamedical.com.
For more information, please contact:
Tel: +32 (0) 498 05 35 79
Consilium Strategic Communications
Amber Fennel, Alexandra Harrison, Marieke Vermeersch, Sukaina Virji
Tel: +44 (0) 203 709 5000
Important Regulatory Disclaimers
Any statement in this press release about safety and efficacy of the alfapump does not apply to the U.S. and Canada because the device is currently undergoing clinical investigation in these territories.
DSR therapy is still in development and it should be noted that any statements in this press release regarding safety and efficacy arise from ongoing pre-clinical and clinical investigations which have yet to be completed.
There is no link between DSR therapy and ongoing investigations with the alfapump system in Europe, the U.S. and Canada.
This press release may contain predictions, estimates or other information that might be considered forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance. These forward-looking statements represent the current judgment of Sequana Medical on what the future holds, and are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially. Sequana Medical expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to release any updates or revisions to any forward-looking statements in this press release, except if specifically required to do so by law or regulation. You should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect the opinions of Sequana Medical only as of the date of this press release.